Friday, March 19, 2010

March 2010 - Straw Bale Gardening???

Last year, gardening fell on the wayside. Deer, rabbits, and lack of attention - kept me from a bountiful garden. I did my usual container gardening for my flowers for the front entrance steps and back patio area. A no-brainer - just water and fertilize.

Seed catalogs have been arriving and the planning seems to be getting the better of me. Also, I came across 'straw bale gardening'. I did some research and watched some video; this has gotten me curious. I am not too excited about how to prepare the bales.

1. Straw bale and NOT Hay bale.
2. Preparation before planting - many suggestions.
3. Ammonium nitrate for one. I am not too excited about using this. Other alternative is soil and manure or 'human pee' Yuck!............but I have checked it out and there are videos and website that suggest this. I have to think on that.
3. Should take about 10-20 days to prepare the bale............needs lots of watering to condition this.

For now, I am at the thinking and research stage. I plan to journal through the season and we shall see what I end up doing.

Stay tuned!!

No comments: